To mark Child Safety Week, we’re going to be looking at some risks found around the home.
Electricity is part of our everyday lives, using it from dusk to dawn and as a result, we can sometimes forget how powerful and dangerous it can be. Curious kids are the number one culprits for sticking foreign objects in outlets and plugs.
Here are a few simple steps to keep your children and family safe from home electricals:
- If you’re using extension cords, be sure to hide them behind furniture or get a hide-a-cord device. You can also put electrical tape over an unused plug socket or cord.
- Unused plug sockets should be kept secure. The first and cheapest way to prevent your child from sticking objects in the outlets is to buy child proof electrical caps. They’re made entirely from plastic and can be plugged directly into an outlet. A pack of six socket covers can be purchased for less than £3!
- After a bath or shower, you should make sure your children are thoroughly dried off before they go near anything electrical like games consoles – water and electricity is deadly.
- Kitchen appliances should be turned off at the wall and kept well away from children’s reach. Make sure your oven and grill is thoroughly cleaned from any grease to prevent house fires.
- Make sure you have a working smoke alarm and carbon monoxide detector in case something goes wrong. Test the batteries in your alarms once a week by pressing the test button (it literally takes a millisecond) and change them once a year.
It may take a bit of time and getting used to, but it’s certainly worth it in the long run. If you’d like to learn more about safeguarding your home and appliances, visit our website here.