Hello sunshine! It’s August and the sun is shining (now and again), so we’ve got three delicious and simple recipes which use fresh ingredients to help you make the most of the last few weeks of summertime.
These are no-cook recipes so they can be whipped up quickly, taste delicious and save energy by not having the cooker on for an hour – result!
Best served al fresco!
2 cans chickpeas
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1/4 cup tahini
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt
- Reserving 1/4 cup liquid, rinse and drain 2 cans of chickpeas. Place chickpeas and reserved liquid in a food processor. Add 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice, 1/4 cup tahini, well stirred, 2 garlic cloves, chopped, 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper, and 1 1/4 teaspoons coarse salt. Process until smooth.
Why not serve your homemade hummus with some chopped up peppers, carrots and pita bread. Simple but effective.
Asian Rotisserie Chicken
2 cups fresh coriander leaves and soft stems
1/4 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 limes)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
Coarse salt and ground pepper
1 roast chicken, skin and bones removed, meat shredded (about 4 cups)
1/4 medium red cabbage, cored and thinly sliced crosswise
1 red bell pepper (seeds removed), thinly sliced
2 spring onions, thinly sliced
1 large head romaine lettuce, torn into bite-size pieces
- Make dressing: In a blender, combine coriander, lime juice, and oil; season with salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine chicken, cabbage, bell pepper, and spring onions; season with salt and pepper. In another large bowl, toss lettuce with 1/2 cup dressing. Divide among four bowls, and top with chicken mixture. Drizzle all with remaining dressing, and sprinkle with cashews.
Spiced Avocado Sandwich
1 ripe avocado
1 tablespoon fresh orange juice
1/2 to 1 teaspoon green Tabasco sauce
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt and pepper
1/2 cup yellow grape tomatoes, halved
1 small cucumber, peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, and cut into 1/2-inch dice
1 large or 2 small radishes, halved and thinly sliced
2 whole-wheat pitas (6 inches each), top third cut off
- Halve and pit avocado. With a spoon, scoop out avocado flesh, cut into chunks, and transfer to a medium bowl. Add orange juice, Tabasco sauce, and coriander; season with salt and pepper. Mix gently to combine.
- Add tomatoes, cucumber, and radish. Combine, and divide mixture between 2 pitas. Serve immediately.